Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ubuntu 11.10

Whenever a new OS comes out, there are always improvements, but lots of compromises. After trying out Ubuntu 11.10 I'm, quite frankly, disappointed.

The Good
The upgrade was painless, the boot time is much improved, and the lightDM looks beautiful.

The Bad
Grub has failed on me four times in two days, I have to hit the power button and start again to get a non-blinky cursor.

In two days of use, my mouse cursor has frozen on screen twice, I can't move it afterwards.

The new software center only allows you to install one piece of software before searching for another.

Unity (still) doesn't allow me to drag and drop shortcuts to my folders to the dock.

The Ugly
Nautilus (if you still are nautilus beneath your new exterior) doesn't show breadcrumbs unless in full screen.

The menu in the upper right of the screen is excessivly large for people like me that never use the person switcher, a desktop email client, or social networks outside our browsers.

You can't uninstall zeitgeist without completely removing the ability to launch applications.

After installing compiz-config-settings manager to try and resize the dock to be smaller, and to show up immediately when I mouse over to it (so it doesn't destroy my workflow) I couldn't, compiz also disabled by alt+tab, and my Aero snap.

With the newest gnome desktop build (ubuntu-classic) the desktop looks like crap, lots of vertical lines, and no configuration for how the layout is done (i.e. I want to remove the bottom panel and install docky without going to gconf, that would be fine).

How to fix it
Install xfce or KDE (yes, even I am willing to switch to KDE after

No comments:

Post a Comment